Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Painted Rug

Painted rugs have been showing up all over the place in the crafty blog world.  I first saw it here.  I was really glad I did too.  I had just bought the same rug (in the darker color) at IKEA a few days before.  I wasn't really excited about it, but it was the closest thing I could get to the color I wanted at the small price I was willing to pay.

I liked the color of the rug, and didn't really want to cover it up like the tutorial did.  I just wanted to make it a little more exciting.  I liked the chevron stripes she used and thought I'd give them a shot.

Items Used
From the store:
Blank stencils (mine were 9"x18", so I taped two together)
Acrylic paint in the desired green color

From home:
Painter's tape
Textile medium
Kitchen sponge

I followed pretty much the same steps as she did over at House of Smiths, skipping the all over paint job.  I also just mixed the textile medium with my acrylic paint for my paint.  I didn't want a solid stripe either, so I just blotted the chevron stripes on with a sponge. Easy peasy.
My only problem now, is that the rug is very rough.  It catches lint and fuzz all over it.  I'm not sure what kind of a clear coat I can use to help make it a bit smoother.  My 7 month-old army crawled over to it today and was not happy when she got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment